Friday, May 29, 2009

How do you put your baby to sleep?


I have a question for all you moms out there: how do(did) you put your baby to sleep? Parker is now 6 weeks old and for the past few weeks I have had to "bounce" him to sleep in my arms and I am getting tired of doing it. Sometimes it will only take a few minutes, but other times it takes 30-45 minutes, and then he doesn't always go to sleep. One lifesaver has been my Moby wrap; I put him in that he usually goes to sleep relatively fast. But then there is the problem of getting him in the crib and making sure he stays asleep and I don't want him getting accustomed to sleeping in that.

SOOOO, I would love to know what you all have done. I just read the Baby Whisperer's technique of calming then putting in the crib and patting their back and "shhhhshing" to sleep. I will probably start trying that but I thought it would be interesting to see what others have done that has worked or even hasn't worked.

And I would love to hear from you even if you are a friend of a friend that I have never met but you read my blog. Thanks for your input!

4 comments:

Kendra & Tobin Kirk said...

Toby and I were just talking about this tonight. I read (and have begun this with Wyatt) putting him down to sleep. If he gets really fussy and upset, I pick him and up and sooth him and before he falls asleep I put him back down. Almost every time he falls asleep within seconds. If not, it usually calms him enough that he will fall asleep on his own shortly. Although Wyatt is also sleeping in his bouncy seat right now because he has really bad reflux and can't lay down flat. I'm dreading the transition from that to his crib.

Renee said...

Let's see....
Caleb was an easy baby so he went right to sleep after a clean diaper and a full belly.

Noah not so easy, I made the big mistake of soothing him by nursing him to sleep. This was an issue he didn't sleep through the night until he was around 11mo. Arrgh!

With Hannah I made sure she was fed and clean, but most of the time she would cry herself to sleep. I would at times go back in and rest my hand on her back, but never picked her up...she sleep through the night at around 5 months. She did learn to fall asleep w/o crying after a week or two of this method.

Hope this is helpful :) See you in a few weeks!

david, blair, and sadie beth said...

Hey Hillary! I've always been a fan of Babywise - which is similar to the Baby Whisperer - but I know it definitely is not for everyone. I certainly don't follow it precisely and disagree with some of what they say, but one of the things though that I definitely agree with and found to be so true is that babies fall asleep and learn to put themselves to sleep the easiest is if they go down before they are too tired. This was always a big thing with Sadie Beth. If she was too tired she would have such a hard time falling asleep. We did let her cry it out some starting between 6-8 weeks sometime, though I can't remember when exactly. I remember we had to wait until my hormones died down enough for me to be able to handle hearing her cry. We never let her do it for long, and went in at intervals to resettle her. I know this is very "un-Baby Whisperer" and I am not at all criticizing anyone who doesn't let their babies cry it out. I'm glad we did because Sadie Beth learned very quickly (without a ton of crying) to put herself to sleep and that was something I was thankful for. However, I know some babies personalities just don't seem to work for that either - so anyways - those are just my 2 cents! :) Good luck getting Parker to sleep!

ps - we also used the SwaddleMe blankets which were MIRACULOUS for Sadie Beth...a hard to break habit later, but once she was ready to be out of it, it wasn't too much trouble.

The Pusateri's said...

I'm no help here Hillary because Chloe was a great sleeper but we are having alot of problems trying to get Brennan to sleep so let me know if you come across anything that works well for you! With Chloe I would turn on her cd and her mobile and she'd be asleep within a minute or so- no such luck this go around!