Sunday, October 28, 2007

Not Lost...

Well, Keet and I have been the victims of a home burglary! Don't be alarmed, we didn't even realize it had happened until three days later. So, nothing major was taken, but our camera was, so now I don't have to keep thinking about possible places that it could be.

Here is the story. Last weekend Keet had to re-shingle the back part of our house. A friend from Hanover actually lives in northern Illinois and stopped by to say Hi and ended up helping Keet out. We have a fenced in backyard with a gate. Keet asked his friend to close the gate and Andy did - however, he did not latch it.

So, we go through our week and by Wednesday I realize that our camera is lost. We looked everywhere, as I said in my last post, but we couldn't find it. By Friday I realized my cell phone was gone too. Most people would notice this first, but I don't use my cell phone every day because I have it through work and most of the time I just don't need to use it. Then, I realized that our old personal cell phone that doesn't even have a plan on it was missing too. We hadn't done anything with it and it had been sitting by our computer.

By Saturday morning, we put the pieces together and called the police. They sent a police officer by and he gave us some helpful hints and said that some people look for easy ways in, grab small things such as cell phones, cash, change jars...Wait a minute - our change jar is gone too!

After the officer left, Keet remembered that he had come home one day and realized that the gate to our backyard was slightly open. He didn't think anything about it at the time, but now we know that the person probably came into our backyard and then through our back door, which unfortunately, we hadn't locked that day. We usually do, but about 20% of the time we forget it and it usually doesn't matter because the gate is closed and locked.

So, that is the story. Can you believe it? We are so thankful that nothing else was taken and that none of us were home. But some guard dog Duke is! He probably barked but then wagged his tail and acted excited to see someone - probably thought they were going to play with him!

Now, we definitely make sure our back door is locked!

No comments: