Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Celebrating 10 years in Oregon

In October, Keet and I made a short trip to the Oregon coast to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We had been talking about going somewhere to celebrate this milestone but we weren't sure on how the timing would work out with me still nursing Annadee on our actual anniversary of June 1. When Keet's parents visited in late July, we ran the idea past them and they said they would be more than willing to come back out and take care of the kids for us if we wanted to go somewhere. Sooooo, we starting thinking about where! And we came up with the Oregon coast, and boy are we glad we did.

One of Keet's best friends from college grew up in Oregon and always talked about the beauty of his home state. We believed him, but you can never really understand someone else's claims until you see something for yourself. We flew into Portland, ate lunch in downtown Portland and then made the short 2 hour drive to the coast. I think Keet and I were in shock after being in brown, brown, brown Nebraska for so long. With the drought we had this summer, we weren't used to being around so much green. And there are so many trees in Oregon. It made us very happy.

We stayed in the little resort town of Cannon Beach. It was perfect. All the shops and restaurants were so nice. From our room at our Inn, we could hear the ocean when the window was open. I love the ocean. Every time I see it I wish I lived close to it. The scenery was absolutely beautiful and we had so much fun just doing whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted. It was truly a blessing to spend a few days together enjoying each other's company without having to worry about the baby's nap, or car seats, or diapers or any of that.


This was the view on our drive out to the coast from Portland. Millions and millions of evergreens lined the highway.


The colors of the some of the deciduous trees were amazing. That is one thing we have missed since we have lived in Nebraska.

The first night we were in Cannon Beach, there was a major storm, the first one of the season going through. Here we are eating at a restaurant right on the beach where you can see the famous Haystack Rock.

Here is Keet in front of Haystack Rock - a 235 ft rock just sitting on the beach.


Everything was so lush and green.

Some of the beautiful scenery during our drive down the coast.



And the kids did wonderful with Keet's parents. I don't think there were any problems at all, or if there were, Keet's mom decided to keep them to herself. ;) I think I missed the kids more than Keet did, but we were so thankful they had such a good time with Mimi and Papa.

No comments: